Where shall we start?
The Drentsche Aa countryside is an area with easy access in the province of Drenthe. The area extends from the Paterwoldse lake in the north to the forested areas of Hooghalen, Schoonloo and Borger in the south. It has a comprehensive network of roads, cycle paths and footpaths. With the exception of the main routes, public transport is very limited. A good alternative is the regional taxi that operates directly from the train station in Assen.
Experience the Drentsche Aa by bicycle
The Drentsche Aa area is particularly suitable for exploring by bicycle. You can hire public transport bicycles at the train station in Assen. You can plan your own cycle route using the intersecting network of cycle tracks, or select a cycle route (dutch information).
To avoid annoying the local residents, we would like to point out several locations where you can park your car. You can also park at most hospitality or recreational businesses. Information pillars and small information centres are present at some of the parking areas. You can also contact the Drentsche Aa hosts and hostesses for information.
- 'Wedbroeken' Gateway near Tynaarlo (Zuidlaarderweg 37), follow the brown signs from the A28 (Tynaarlo/Vries exit) or N34 (Tynaarlo/Zuidlaren exit) - information pillar and a field full of flowers.
- 'Homanshof' Gateway in Anloo (Lunsenhof 20), follow the brown signs from the N34 (Anloo exit) - information pillar and unmanned Homanshof Forestry Commission information centre (Staatsbosbeheer).
- 'Onder de Molen' Gateway in Rolde (Zuides 50), follow the brown signs from the N33 (Rolde exit) - information pillar and a Tourist Information Point (TIP/VVV).
- ‘Deurzerdiep’ gateway in Deurze (Behind 'De Aanleg' restaurant, Asserstraat 63 in Rolde) on the old road between Assen and Rolde. The accompanying family path is being constructed by the municipality of Assen and will be completed by the end of 2016
Other starting points
- Car park at the information centre near the Balloo sheep pen - information pillar and an unmanned information centre
- Molensteeg car park in the road 'Molensteeg' in Oudemolen (on the Oudemolen-Gasteren road) - information pillar
- Brink in Zeegse - information pillar
- Car park at the Pinetum, on the Anloo-Anderen road
- Molenveld car park opposite the Oudemolen military mobilisation centre on the Oudemolen-Zeegse road
- Car park just north of Anderen, on the Anderen-Anloo road
- Kymmelsberg car park in Schipborg
- Near the megalithic tomb at Loon, between Loon and Taarlo
- At Noordlaarderbos, the Natuurmonumenten woods to the west of Noordlaren and Midlaren
- The car park in the centre of Amen is at the start of the Forestry Commission trail 'De Acht van Amen'
- Carpooling car park near the slip roads to the A28 on the Vries-De Punt-Glimmen-Groningen road (cycle route intersection).
- Car park at the Herinneringscentrum Westerbork (Memorial Centre) in Hooghalen
- Car park at the Boomkroonpad - manned information centre
- Car park at the 't Nije Hemelriek lake near Gasselte